Clearfield Lumber Company
The first saw mill in Rowan county in 1820 was operated by Jacob Clack (for whom Clack Mountain is named). This saw mill also used water power, and was located at a site in Clearfield that later became the Lee Clay Products Company. In 1905 the Clearfield Lumber Company, a Pennsylvania Corporation, built a saw mill at Clearfield, and was the principle force in exhausting the last supply of virgin timber in the county. It operated for 17 years, until 1922, and employed approximately 300 men (Rowan County News 1956:72). Clearfield Lumber owned the Morehead and North Fork Railroad and the 25 mile line from Morehead to Redwine. The North Fork Railroad was abandoned in 1933.
Company Housing at the Clearfield Lumber Company
Return to Home Page