Answer: Captain Charles S. Stewart, Jr., Alexander Stewart’s grandson, through his eldest son Charles Stewart.
By all accounts, Alexander Stewart’s eldest child, Charles S. Stewart, was his favorite son. Charles was born in 1779 in Virginia. On September 21, 1801, at the age of age twenty-two, Charles married Susannah Arthur, a daughter of Colonel Thomas Arthur, Sr, and his wife Sarah, In anticipation of this marriage, on April 27, 1801, the Knox County Court “ordered that Charles Stewart have a certificate of 400 acres of land by virtue of an actual settlement made thereon, lying in the south side of the Cumberland River, beginning near the upper end of the first bottom below Neil Gatliff’s survey, running down the river for complement as far as the law will allow.” Knox County Order Book A, page 25. The three children of Charles Stewart and Susannah Arthur were:
Sarah Stewart, born in Knox County, Kentucky in 1802 and married James Wardlow;
Charles S. Stewart, born in Knox County, Kentucky; died in November 19, 1861; and,
Alexander A. Stewart, born in 1809, Knox County, Kentucky.
In the summer of 1809, tragedy struck. Charles, Sr., died at the age of twenty-nine having taken shelter under a tree on his farm during a severe storm and lightning struck the tree killing him.
His widow, Susannah, quickly married Martin Miller on November 30, 1809. Susannah and her three children moved with her new husband to Perry County, Tennessee. Eventually they settled in Yalobusha County, Mississippi. See Stewart Clan Magazine, page 313, 314 (March 1943), with her three young children from her marriage to Charles. This must have been a painful parting for their grandfather Alexander.
In Yalobusha County, Charles, Jr. married Martha Cocke (1817-1908) in the little town of Water Valley on June 26, 1836. Hearing of the opportunities in the West, Charles and his family moved to Texas to what is now Titus County shortly after their marriage. It was truly the wild west.
Ambrose Ripley and his wife Rachel (Wood) also had brought their family to Texas in 1837, settling near here in what was then Red River County. They established their home near the Nacogdoches Road (Cherokee Trace) and a stream now known as Ripley Creek. On April 10, 1841, while Ripley was away, a band of Indians attacked his farmstead, killing first his eldest son who was plowing in the field. Mrs. Ripley and five children were killed trying to reach a canebrake and one infant died when the house was burned. Two of Ripley's daughters eluded the Indians and made it to a neighboring farm. Charles Black and Charles S. Stewart led a group of settlers north in pursuit of the band. Near the Sulphur River, they encountered Indians, who may or may not have been involved in the massacre, and attacked them, killing several. The Ripley family massacre was an isolated incident in this area, but it proved to be a rallying point for increased frontier defenses and for support of the anti-Indian policies of Texas President Mirabeau B. Lamar. The attack also influenced the formation of a militia unit under the leadership of Gen. Edward H. Tarrant and Cols. James Bourland and William C. Young to rid the area of Indians.
When Civil War approached, Charles joined the 4th Texas Cavalry of the Confederate Army as a captain and organized a company of volunteers and started from Mt. Pleasant, Texas, to engage in the war in Missouri. When his group was crossing Oklahoma, his company got in a fight with some Indians and Stewart was killed on November 19, 1861, and buried in Oklahoma, and his body was never returned to Texas the earliest casualties.
Stewart Cemetery, Titus County, Texas (from the Title County Genealogy Web Site)
This is an abandoned and essentially lost cemetery located about 8 miles Northwest of Mt. Pleasant on lands owned by Charles Black out of the Richard Overton Survey. According to Lynch Harper in his “Cemeteries of Titus County”, it was located about 500 yards west of the WB line of a 50 acre tract owned then by G. W. “Pitt” Mebane, and was on the South side of a ditch running East and West. This was one of the older cemeteries of Titus County. Three monuments that were at the graves of children of C. S. And M. J. Stewart (William A., Mary E. and Eliza J.) have been moved to the Edwards Cemetery in Mt. Pleasant. Eliza J. Stuart died September 7, 1845, one of the earliest deaths in Titus County. People that lived in the vicinity stated that at one time there was evidence of the fact that this was a large cemetery. Charles Black, the current land owner of the land on which the cemetery was formed stated that there is no evidence remaining of the cemetery and therefore no effort was expended to locate it. When the Civil War started, C. S. Stewart organized a company of volunteers and started from Mt. Pleasant to engage in the war in Missouri. When they were crossing Oklahoma, his company got in a fight with some Indians and Stewart was killed and buried in Oklahoma, and his body was never returned to Texas. The Stewart home was located a few yards West of the present home of Mr. Mebane.
to Home Page